Deb Ponzek is a mom, chef/restauranteur and author of several popular cookbooks including The Dinner Survival Cookbook and The Family Kitchen. This week she’s sharing her go-to fall cocktail for entertaining—an easy mulled wine perfect for sharing with neighbors on Halloween or enjoying by the fire pit with friends.
Spiced Mulled Wine
Serves 10 to 12
- Peel of 1 lemon
- Peel of 1 orange
- Two 750-ml bottles red wine
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 1 vanilla bean, split (optional)
- 8 whole cloves
- 12 whole peppercorns
- One 2-inch piece fresh ginger, peeled and thinly sliced
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 4 star anise
- Using a vegetable peeler, remove the peel of the lemon and orange, being careful not to pick up any of the bitter white pith from the fruit.
- Cut the peel into strips and combine in a large pot with the wine, sugar, cinnamon sticks, vanilla bean, cloves, peppercorns, sliced ginger, nutmeg, and star anise.
- Bring to a simmer over low heat and let simmer gently for about 20 minutes.
- Strain and serve warm.
If you’re traveling this winter, you might be dreading the part where you tote your tired and bored kids on long stretches through planes, trains and automobiles. To get some tried and true advice, we turned to two people who are more experienced at...
If you’re looking for some special gifts this holiday season, then you’ll probably appreciate the mantra Brooke Shepard—aka “Monogram Mary”—keeps in mind at all times: Everything Is Better With A Monogram. Having found a passion for monograms early on...
When giving clothing or accessories, we're always looking for pieces that are made well and will last for years. From a go-anywhere backpack to a warm coat that will never go out of style, these gifts from our favorite Swedish brand fit the bill and are...