If you loved the recent basil recipe roundup from Megan Sullivan of The Local Moms Network, here is one more for your list—this time paired with another favorite summer garden/farmer’s market ingredient, rhubarb! Not only is this crisp a delicious dessert, but it’s dairy and gluten-free, so great if you (or your kiddos) are avoiding them. This crowd-pleasing recipe is a sure-fire family favorite, says Megan: “My kids love to help make and eat this!”
VEGAN & GLUTEN-FREE BERRY BASIL RHUBARB CRISP
- 1 1/4 cups strawberries
- 1 handful of fresh basil chopped
- 1 cup blueberries
- 2 1/4 cups rhubarb
- 3 table spoons of sugar (I use coconut)
- 1 cup gluten-free rolled oats
- 1/2 cup coconut flour or almond flour
- 1/4 cup agave or maple syrup
- 1 pinch sea salt
- 5 tbsp room temperature Coconut Oil
- 1 lemon
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and grease a baking dish. I use 8×8 baking dish.
- Add washed fruit and basil directly to the dish and toss with sugar, and 1 tablespoon of coconut flour (or your flour of choice).
- Add zest of one lemon and juice of one half of the lemon. Let sit for 10 minutes.
- Now it’s time to make the topping! Add crisp ingredients (remaining flour, agave/syrup, salt, oats, coconut oil) to a mixing bowl and combine together until all ingredients are mixed (I use my hands). Add to the top of the fruit mixture.
- Bake for 45-50 minutes or until the fruit is bubbling and the top is crisp and golden brown. Check mid-way through to make sure the top is not burning. (You can also cover with foil for half of the baking time to prevent this.)
- Cool before serving. I serve with whipped cream or ice cream!
My family loves football, and traditionally we get together as often as we can to hang out, watch football, and, of course, EAT. We all love chili, so previously we'd been making multiple variations of chili each week, but we decided it was time for something...
For most kids, Halloween is pretty much the best day of the year. Between the costumes, the candy, and the fun with friends, what’s not to love? But for kids with serious food allergies, Halloween can feel like yet another fun thing they miss out on....
There are so many great places in Richmond to not only pick the perfect pumpkin, but also enjoy many other fun fall activites! The list below details all farms within about an hour of downtown Richmond, roughly in order of distance from center or Richmond...