It isn’t summer until you have had watermelon!! It is one of my favorite things to have all summer long. I love adding it to salads like my Watermelon Feta Salad with Mint and Basil, and even as dessert. When I went to summer camp as a kid, my friends and I would put watermelon seeds on our foreheads and each one would be the name of a boy at summer camp, and which ever one didn’t fall off would be the boy we were going to marry. Needless to say, I didn’t marry any of the boys I went to summer camp with, BUT I will always think of that when I think of watermelon.
Watermelon plays a role in so many people’s summertime memories, so why not make it extra fun by adding chocolate and sprinkles. I am also in love with watermelon seeds! I know it sounds weird, but Go Raw has sprouted watermelon seeds that are packed with protein, and have a great crunch to them. I figured it was only appropriate to add them to my chocolate dipped watermelon. They have a touch of salt, which is nice with watermelon and chocolate.
For more DIY fun from Maria:
DIY Kids Lego Soap From Scratch
Homemade Lavender Lemonade
I feel like you can add chocolate to anything and it will taste amazing. So there is something spectacular that happens when you add coconut oil to chocolate chips. It makes the chocolate smoother and easy to pour, but it also allows it to harden nicely. When the chocolate mixed with coconut oil gets poured over something very cold like the watermelon it hardens! It’s like the magic shell that you get at Dairy Queen!!
Chocolate Dipped Watermelon
- 8 slices of watermelon
- 1 cup chocolate chips
- 2 teaspoons coconut oil
- toppings like sprinkles, nuts, watermelon seeds, etc.
- ***If you want to make more than 8 slices, then make an entirely new mixture of chocolate for more slices. The chocolate will start to clump up once you get to the end of the dipping***
- Cut 8 triangle slices of watermelon, if you want them to stand up, make sure to cut the bottom of the piece as well
- Place in the fridge or freezer so that the pieces are very cold
- Place the chocolate chips and coconut oil in a heatproof bowl and place over a small pan that has simmering water, making sure that the water isn’t touching the bowl, this will gently melt the chocolate, continually stir until melted and turn off heat
- Use a spoon or spatula to pour the chocolate over the watermelon, you can dip them, but it may make the chocolate seize up
- Once you pour the chocolate over the watermelon sprinkle over the toppings the you like
- Place in the fridge to harden up! If laying flat, place on a sheet covered with wax paper, then place in the fridge
*If you want the watermelon to stand up, make sure to cut the bottom of the triangle to make it flat.
*Place the watermelon in the fridge or freezer before dipping to make sure it is very cold before coating it with chocolate.
*It helps to use a spatula pour the chocolate over the watermelon. This will help to prevent the chocolate from seizing up. If too much of the juice from the watermelon gets in the chocolate, then it will make the chocolate clumpy.
*Add the toppings into the chocolate covered watermelon right after you pour the chocolate onto the watermelon.
*Place the watermelon back into the fridge to harden up! If you don’t want the watermelon to stand, then you can place it on a sheet lined with waxed paper.
For more 4th of July inspiration from Maria:
American Flag Giant Sugar Cookie Cake
Best Ever July 4th S’mores on a Stick
Red, White & Blue Frozen Yogurt Bark
Summer is synonymous with salad, and now salad is synonymous with Kathleen Ashmore, Tik Tok Star and Local Moms Network Food Contributor. Her "Hungry Lady Salad" series is turning even salad skeptics into believers, and this Berry Caprese Salad is her latest...
Cheers to Summer! We love a good Sangria in the warmer weather, and depending on the setting or food pairing, have served it in white, red or rose varieties. This Sparkling Sweet Tea Sangria from The BakerMama is not only refreshing, but decorated with a patriotic,...
The days are getting longer, flowers are blooming…Spring is here (finally)! But just when temperatures start rising and the deep winter brain fog starts to clear, the rain starts. And it just doesn’t stop. We’re here to help you combine some retail therapy with a...