Kate McDermott, author of Art of the Pie, was a finalist for the prestigious James Beard award for chefs. She’s also mom to Duncan, 32, who started baking with her as a toddler. This classic pumpkin pie is a family favorite for Thanksgiving. Her secret, expert tip? It should have a slight jiggle in the middle which will set as it cools.
Makes one 9-inch shallow pie
- 1 recipe single-crust pie dough
- 3 eggs, lightly beaten
- One 15-ounce can (about 2 cups or 425 grams) pumpkin
- 1 cup canned lite coconut milk or evaporated milk
- ¾ cup (150 grams) sugar (equal parts white and packed brown sugar)
- ½ teaspoon (3 grams) salt
- 1 teaspoon (2 grams) cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon (2 grams) ginger
- ¼ teaspoon (.25 gram) freshly ground nutmeg
- A tiny pinch of ground clove
- Preheat the oven to 425°F (220°C).
- Roll out a pie shell and place it in a pie pan. Trim excess dough from the edges and crimp.
- Whisk the eggs in a medium bowl until they are light-colored and fluffy. Stir in the pumpkin, coconut milk, sugar, salt, cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg, and clove until the ingredients are thoroughly mixed.
- Pour the filling into the pan. Place the pie in the oven and turn down immediately to 375°F. Bake for approximately 50 minutes.
- Remove the pie from the oven and set on a rack to cool completely.
Credit: “Excerpted from The Art of the Pie: A Practical Guide to Homemade Crusts, Fillings, and Life. Text copyright 2016 by Kathleen L. McDermott, photograph copyright 2015 by Andrew Scrivani. Reproduced by permission of The Countryman Press. All rights reserved.”
Berry Caprese Salad
Summer is synonymous with salad, and now salad is synonymous with Kathleen Ashmore, Tik Tok Star and Local Moms Network Food Contributor. Her "Hungry Lady Salad" series is turning even salad skeptics into believers, and this Berry Caprese Salad is her latest...
Sparkling Sweet Tea Sangria for Summer
Cheers to Summer! We love a good Sangria in the warmer weather, and depending on the setting or food pairing, have served it in white, red or rose varieties. This Sparkling Sweet Tea Sangria from The BakerMama is not only refreshing, but decorated with a patriotic,...
Top Rain Jacket Picks for Moms
The days are getting longer, flowers are blooming…Spring is here (finally)! But just when temperatures start rising and the deep winter brain fog starts to clear, the rain starts. And it just doesn’t stop. We’re here to help you combine some retail therapy with a...