This pumpkin chili recipe from Chef Debra Ponzek is a classic fall dish, full of seasonal flavors like pumpkin and butternut squash. Like all chilis, it’s versatile and can be made ahead and frozen, making it a go-to for busy autumn nights.
- 4 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 pound lean ground beef
- Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1 Medium onion
- 1 Green bell pepper, seeded and diced
- 3 Garlic cloves, peeled and thinly sliced
- 1 Zucchini, diced
- 1 Cup peeled and diced butternut squash
- 1 (15 ounce) can plain, unseasoned pumpkin puree
- 2 Cups canned crushed plum tomatoes and juices
- 2 Cups chicken stock, preferably homemade
- 1 Teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 3/4 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 (15 ounce) can kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- Heat 2 tablespoons of the oil over medium-high heat in a large saute pan until shimmering.
- Cook the beef, breaking it up with a wooden spoon, until browned and cooked through in small pieces.
- Add about 1 1/2 teaspoons of salt and season to tatse with pepper. Drain the meat and set aside.
- In the same pan, heat the remaining 2 tablespoons of oil over med-high heat. When hot, cook the onion, green pepper, and garlic for 5-6 minutes or until vegetables are tender.
- Return the meat to the pan along with the zucchini, squash, pumpkin puree, tomatoes, stock, pumplkin pie spice, cumin, chili powder, and about 1 1/2 teaspoons of salt.
- Bring to a boil, reduce heat, cover and cook at a gentle simmer for about 30 minutes. Adjust the heat to maintain the simmer.
- Add the kidney beans, stir the chili well, heat through, and serve.
Rihanna’s Pregnancy Style: 5 Looks We Love
Congrats to Rihanna on the birth of her first child! We love her fashion forward maternity style – from baring her belly to announce her pregnancy to her high fashion looks that had paparazzi covering her pregnancy like it was the Met Gala. When interviewed by...
RVA Local Business Feature: Any Lab Test Now!
Any Lab Test Now is a locally owned franchise located in the West End of Richmond, in the same shopping area as Walmart. This business is woman owned by an amazing Richmond native and mom of twin girls. She has been in the healthcare industry for over 14 years,...
Berry Caprese Salad
Summer is synonymous with salad, and now salad is synonymous with Kathleen Ashmore, Tik Tok Star and Local Moms Network Food Contributor. Her "Hungry Lady Salad" series is turning even salad skeptics into believers, and this Berry Caprese Salad is her latest...