If you loved the recent basil recipe roundup from Megan Sullivan of The Local Moms Network, here is one more for your list—this time paired with another favorite summer garden/farmer’s market ingredient, rhubarb! Not only is this crisp a delicious dessert, but it’s dairy and gluten-free, so great if you (or your kiddos) are avoiding them. This crowd-pleasing recipe is a sure-fire family favorite, says Megan: “My kids love to help make and eat this!”
VEGAN & GLUTEN-FREE BERRY BASIL RHUBARB CRISP
- 1 1/4 cups strawberries
- 1 handful of fresh basil chopped
- 1 cup blueberries
- 2 1/4 cups rhubarb
- 3 table spoons of sugar (I use coconut)
- 1 cup gluten-free rolled oats
- 1/2 cup coconut flour or almond flour
- 1/4 cup agave or maple syrup
- 1 pinch sea salt
- 5 tbsp room temperature Coconut Oil
- 1 lemon
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and grease a baking dish. I use 8x8 baking dish.
- Add washed fruit and basil directly to the dish and toss with sugar, and 1 tablespoon of coconut flour (or your flour of choice).
- Add zest of one lemon and juice of one half of the lemon. Let sit for 10 minutes.
- Now it’s time to make the topping! Add crisp ingredients (remaining flour, agave/syrup, salt, oats, coconut oil) to a mixing bowl and combine together until all ingredients are mixed (I use my hands). Add to the top of the fruit mixture.
- Bake for 45-50 minutes or until the fruit is bubbling and the top is crisp and golden brown. Check mid-way through to make sure the top is not burning. (You can also cover with foil for half of the baking time to prevent this.)
- Cool before serving. I serve with whipped cream or ice cream!
This content was provided by Shilpa Rosenberry, founder of Scouted and a regular contributor for The Local Moms Network. Scouted is a New Canaan, CT-based social network designed to cut through the clutter on grocery store shelves. Basically, Shilpa’s site...
This recipe originally appeared on Kath Eats. Looking for an easy, healthy and kid-friendly breakfast recipe for the summer? Try this fruit-filled, colorful spin on the overnight oats trend! Patriotic Overnight Oats Prep Time 10 minutes...
Recently, we introduced you to Carly Stein, the women behind Beekeeper’s Naturals, and the many benefits of propolis, a super ingredient made by bees that has antibacterial, antiviral, antifungal and anti-inflammatory properties. Since we’re always looking...