Deb Ponzek is a mom, chef/restauranteur and author of several popular cookbooks including The Dinner Survival Cookbook and The Family Kitchen. This week she’s sharing her go-to fall cocktail for entertaining—an easy mulled wine perfect for sharing with neighbors on Halloween or enjoying by the fire pit with friends.
Spiced Mulled Wine
Serves 10 to 12
- Peel of 1 lemon
- Peel of 1 orange
- Two 750-ml bottles red wine
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 1 vanilla bean, split (optional)
- 8 whole cloves
- 12 whole peppercorns
- One 2-inch piece fresh ginger, peeled and thinly sliced
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 4 star anise
- Using a vegetable peeler, remove the peel of the lemon and orange, being careful not to pick up any of the bitter white pith from the fruit.
- Cut the peel into strips and combine in a large pot with the wine, sugar, cinnamon sticks, vanilla bean, cloves, peppercorns, sliced ginger, nutmeg, and star anise.
- Bring to a simmer over low heat and let simmer gently for about 20 minutes.
- Strain and serve warm.
The Uvalde, TX school shooting is so many things—tragic, senseless, terrifying. It has also been described as unimaginable, but unfortunately, it is not. And whether our kids are old enough to remember Sandy Hook, Parkland or Columbine, many of them are asking...
Cheers to Summer! We love a good Sangria in the warmer weather, and depending on the setting or food pairing, have served it in white, red or rose varieties. This Sparkling Sweet Tea Sangria from The BakerMama is not only refreshing, but decorated with a patriotic,...
This Build Your Own Rice Bowl Board allows each member of your family to create a dinner plate they’ll love–and actually eat! Picky eaters may just choose chicken and rice, while more adventurous ones may add edamame, spicy Sriracha sauce or cilantro. We’ve been...